Manual has so many students to be proud of. Read about how Claire Metel (MST, 10) is taking action to help girls in Tanzania not miss days of school every month.
Snow canceled our first meeting on March 21st; but we are not deterred from working together to make Manual as safe as possible!
Our new Safety Committee will meet for the first time next Thursday, March 29th at 6 PM in the Manual Auditorium.
Thus far we have:
- The results of a safety audit by a retired Secret Service agent who consults with schools
- Two pledges of financial support
- ALICE safety procedures
The Crimson Mission, Inc. will host the 3rd annual Growing the Mission Gala, on March 10 at the Mellwood Arts Center. The Gala brings together alumni, parents, former parents and friends of Manual to celebrate our rich history, and to raise money to fund projects that will enhance students’ academic and extra-curricular experience. Read all about last year’s event here and check out the photos here.
A survey among students and teachers indicated that 92% think that Crimson Hour – an unstructured lunch hour held Friday, 11/3 – should be repeated. Students used the hour in a variety of ways. The top 5 student activities were:
73% studying / research
33% group work
32% meet with teacher
32% work on a project
Feedback from teachers included:
The Red/White Week annual collection challenge between Manual and Male has begun! We are collecting NEW SOCKS for the JCPS 15th District PTA Clothing Assistance Program (CAP). All sizes and styles of socks from infant to adult sizes are needed. Young children and adolescent/adult sized no-show style socks are especially needed.
Please place new sock donations in specially marked boxes located at entrances to the main building, YPAS and YPAS annex. Good Clothes Good People will also have bins (marked ‘CAP’) to collect socks at certain entrances. CAP has been providing new and gently used clothing to JCPS children in need for over 40 years, with a mission to reduce absenteeism by ensuring that students have appropriate school clothing. The program is run almost solely by volunteers, who sort, tag and hang clothes throughout the year. Our next Manual service date is 11/21 but volunteers are always needed; contact our CAP Chairs for more info.
Send socks in from now until Game Day on Friday, Oct. 20. Let’s knock the socks off Male!
Good Clothes Good People (GCGP) Corporation is a Louisville-based non-profit organization founded by former and current Manual students working to provide adequate resources to those in need.
With the help of our VA students, GCGP aims to use artistry to reinvent old, donated dumpsters to create colorful, reflective, and attractive bins to collect clothing donations for the benefit of both our school (in partnership with the PTSA CAP committee) and our local community.
According to senior Zebeeb Nuguse, they are seeking donations of paint for the bins. Acrylic paint is preferable, but house paint is welcome as well, so if you have any partially-used cans sitting around that you would be willing to donate, please contact Zebeeb to arrange drop off.
They hope to begin the project next Wednesday, Sept 27, so please respond by then if possible; however, donations will be accepted any time.
If you don’t have paint to contribute but would like to support this wonderful cause, monetary donations or gift cards to a paint store are welcome as well!
Thanks to a submission by Min Jiang, Manual was selected as a 1st place winner in the National PTA #ThankATeacher Contest sponsored by Google Express. We received credits worth up to $2,500 to order goodies to stock our teacher lounges. Among the things we were able to add to both the Manual and YPAS lounges:
- Keurig coffee maker, storage drawers, and large supply of K-cups
- Toaster oven
- Sandwich grill
- Electric kettle
- Handheld vacuum
- Charging station
- Boxes and boxes of snacks, some of which are pictured below
The PTSA is separately working on getting the carpet replaced in the main teacher’s lounge as it is aged and needs replacing.
Our PTSA is completely volunteer driven and our success is due to those who generously give their time and talents to our organization. If you take a minute to view the video produced by J+C junior Olivia Evans here, and the slide show produced by HSU Senior Austin Kline here, you will begin to understand the vital role we serve within the Manual community.
We have two positions left to fill for next school year:
- Attends monthly PTSA meetings OR reads minutes to learn about school-related news, activities, events, etc.
- Coordinates (with content contributors) obtaining information from magnet programs, school staff, etc. and writes/edits/formats content as needed
- Alerts volunteer photographers of PTSA/school events and ensures photos are stored on PTSA drive and accessible to Historian/4th VP
- Assists Digital News and Social Media Coordinators as needed
- This position is strongly supported by the 4th VP (Executive Board) and will hopefully transition into that role the following year
Social Media Coordinator(s)
- Works closely with Communications Team to post/re-post updates to PTSA social media channels (can choose Facebook, Twitter or Instagram, or multiple)
Email Trish Kline of your interest.
On Saturday, March 4, The Crimson Mission, Inc. hosted the 2nd Annual Growing the Mission Gala at the historic Henry Clay Building in downtown Louisville. Over 300 Manual friends and family attended this year’s Gala.
Guests were engaged throughout the evening:
- Entertainment was provided by incredibly talented Manual YPAS students Nick Koenig, Gabe Wiest, Hannah Wagers, Harin Oh, Colin Crothers, Brooke Lynch, Geda Miles, Jeremiah Potter, Sam Feinstein, Camron Gooden, and Ford Smith.
- Browsing and bidding on numerous silent auction items donated by generous Manual families and community friends led to friendly teasing about “upping the bid.”
- Chances for the Red/Blue challenge were purchased to win an autographed basketball from UofL or UK.
- Two signature cocktails were created for the event: Tito’s Vodka and Jaegermeister each developed a cocktail specifically for the Gala.
The MST Parent Group, The Catalysts, is sponsoring Pie for Pi Day for the teachers, staff, and administration. On March 14th (3.14), pie will be served during lunch in the library for dessert. All Manual families are invited to participate so there is enough pie for all of the Manual and YPAS staff to enjoy. To … Read moreSupport Second Annual Pi Day for Manual and YPAS Staff