Visual Arts Application RequirementsNEW APPLICATION MATERIAL REQUIRED BY THE ADMISSIONS COMMITTEE
All Manual application materials are due at dupont Manual by January 11, 2013 unless otherwise noted.
- Please make a copy of submitted materials, since they will not be returned.
- Enrollment is limited.
- Submission of an application does not guarantee placement in a program or school.
- Please use our checklist to ensure your application is complete before mailing or delivery to Manual High School.
- JCPS application material (must be completed before Manual can process your application)
- A completed application form* designating the desired magnet program must be completed online by January 11, 2013.
- Manual application material (application packet must be complete. No incomplete packets will be accepted.)
- Drawing Session
Attendance at a 90 minute on-demand drawing session at Manual High School, on one of the following dates:
The two Drawing Session dates are:
The November 15th and January 10th drawing sessions begin promptly at 3:30pm on the 3rd floor of the Art Annex. The January 4th drawing session will begin promptly at 11:30am on the 3rd floor of the Art Annex. Please arrive early.
- November 15, 2012 (Noe and Western Middle early admissions applicants only)
- January 4, 2013
- January 10, 2013
**Note: For those attending the January 4th session, please be aware that schools may be closed for the winter break. Please get your artwork for your art portfolio from your school before winter break.**
Please register online for a drawing session as soon as possible. Make sure to register for the correct drawing session and choose only one date. Drawing session size is limited. Directly after you register a conformation page is your proof of registration. Print this page and bring it with you to your drawing session.
Thank you for your interest in VA. The application timeline is now closed for the 2013-14 year.
- Portfolio Review
While applicant is completing their on-demand drawing, they will submit their art portfolio for review. The art portfolio will be evaluated and returned to student at the end of the drawing session. Portfolio items should include the student’s best artwork, such as: drawings, paintings, mixed media pieces, textiles, photography, ceramics and sculpture. Artwork drawn from exact observation, rather than copied from a photograph is encouraged. Any cartoons, manga, or anime should be ORIGINAL creations and not copied from another artist’s work.
A writing portfolio quality essay, composed, written, and typed by the applicant in response to the following question:
- Many visual artists can recall the exact moment when they knew they would pursue an artistic career. Tell us about your specific moment or experience that inspired you to apply to the Manual Visual Arts magnet and how that moment or experience directs you toward your future goals.
A completed activities and interest survey* form which describes the applicant’s activities, volunteer work, awards and recognitions especially those that relate to the Visual Arts magnet program.
- Recommendation Letters
Two completed recommendation forms*, one from the applicant’s art teacher (current teacher if applicable), and one from another teacher who is familiar with the applicant’s work, abilities, and commitment.
A copy of the applicant’s school transcripts which should include middle school attendance data, achievement test scores (CAT-5, CTBS, Stanford), Advance Program test scores, CATS test scores, past grads, and most current progress report.
A completed Art Questionnaire, click here
Two Art Exercises completed by the applicant: Print these Art Exercise directions, complete each of the Art Exercises, and deliver to Manual with the application materials. For one of the exercises a 3 by 3 inch piece of black construction paper must be used, you may provide your own paper or pick up paper in Manual’s front office.
- Two Drawing Exercises click here
- Drawing Session
-- Be sure to include your most current progress report card.
-- * is a required form that is located on the Applicaton Form page.
NOTE: APPLICATION PACKETS MUST BE COMPLETE. NO incomplete application packets will be accepted!
All Manual application materials are due at duPont dupont Manual by January 11, 2013 unless otherwise noted.
For more information about duPont Manual High School, call (502) 485-8241.
duPont Manual High School, Louisville, KY 40208, (502) 485-8241
© 2012 JCPS