Over the weekend, 56 J&C students attended the National Scholastic Press Association convention in Chicago.
At the event, four J&C students competed in the National Journalism Quiz Bowl — Sylvia Cassidy, Sentyaset Rodriguez, Noah Grebe and Sky Carroll. They won their first round in a 10-9 nailbiter, but unfortunately lost their second round (also in a 10-9 nailbiter). Senior Piper Hansen also taught a workshop about digital journalism to a packed room.
Thirteen J&C students earned recognition in the on-site contests held at the convention — either honorable mentions, ratings of “excellent” or ratings of “superior.”
- Review writing, Sylvia Cassidy
- Broadcast Anchor, Star Watts
- Press Law & Ethics, Macy Waddle
- Yearbook Copy/Caption Writing: Academics, Tori Nugent
- Themed Photo, Mia Breitenstein
- Sports Action Photography, Keri Phillips
- Newswriting, Piper Hansen
- Newspaper Editing, Katie Cummins
- Literary Magazine: Poetry, Sam Baker
- Literary Magazine: Illustration, E. Streeter
- Sports Feature Photography, Pieper Mallett
- Graphic Design: Advertising, Jess Mays
- Literary Magazine: Photography, Olivia Brotzge
But that’s not all!
The NSPA also recognizes individual student work from the past school year.
Senior Piper Hansen and class of 2018 grad Nikhil Warrier earned an honorable mention for their interactive online graphic (scroll down).
Juniors Ella Treinen and Ysa Leon won first place in the Story of the Year “social justice reporting” category for their story about Y-NOW, a local YMCA program that helps the children of incarcerated parents.
Ella and Ysa also won the prestigious Brasler Prize, which is a “best of the best” award given to one of the top Story of the Year recipients in all categories. It comes with $1000 cash! This is the second Brasler Prize for duPont Manual!
But wait! There’s more!
The NSPA also recognizes a small handful of publications around the country as worthy of a Pacemaker, their top annual prize for student publications. On the Record won its second Pacemaker this weekend!
And duPont Manual also picked up three Best of Show awards for One Blue Wall (7th place), On the Record (10th place) and RedEye (10th place)!
Please congratulate these students when you see them! We J&C teachers couldn’t possibly be prouder of them.