There are many college representatives coming to Manual this time of year. The following prepares you for visiting with them in the College & Career Center (CCC) in the Guidance Office. Keep checking the CCC calendar for colleges you are interested in.
- College rep visits last roughly from 15-45 minutes. Every college rep visit can be different depending upon the number of students that show up. For example, if there are many students, the rep will typically give a 15-30 minute talk about their university and then allow students to ask questions. If a small number of kids show up (<5??), the rep could either give a talk as above OR just hold an informal small discussion where the rep is asking each student a bit about themselves and answering the student’s questions.
- A student is welcome to simply drop by, meet the rep, grab a brochure, and head back to class if they do not have time to stay. Some students opt to do this if they have an important quiz or test they cannot miss.
- If the student cannot break free from class at all during the scheduled rep visit, they can also go to the CCC in the morning before school and leave a note on the CCC desk. The note should include the student’s contact info along with the name of the college they are interested in and the CCC parent volunteer will make sure the rep receives this.
- Please note that parents are not allowed to attend rep visits as this time is allotted for students and reps only.
- Note that the college rep that visits is typically one of the people reading the student’s application/common app essay. So having your student meet and interact with this person can potentially be a huge benefit in the admissions process.